Re: Database users Passwords

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: Jorge Godoy <godoy(at)ieee(dot)org>
Cc: DEV <dev(at)umpa-us(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database users Passwords
Date: 2006-10-17 22:05:54
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com> writes:
>
>> The only crypt I know of is the crypt command (FreeBSD has it at
>> /usr/bin/crypt) and is also known as enigma. This is a two way encryption
>
> Well... I suppose DES is not Enigma, but I may be wrong. I just quoted this
> "extension" because it shows both algorithms used here.

%man crypt
ENIGMA(1) FreeBSD General Commands Manual

NAME
enigma, crypt -- very simple file encryption

SYNOPSIS
enigma [-s] [-k] [password]
crypt [-s] [-k] [password]

DESCRIPTION
The enigma utility, also known as crypt is a very simple encryption pro-
gram, working on a ``secret-key'' basis. It operates as a filter, i.e.,
it encrypts or decrypts a stream of data from standard input, and writes
the result to standard output. Since its operation is fully
symmetrical,feeding the encrypted data stream again through the engine
(using the same secret key) will decrypt it.

Which is all irrelevant and guesses unless Dev specifies which crypt he
actually used to create his data.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres(at)007Marketing(dot)com