Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Beta 3 crashing reproducably
Date: 2006-10-17 02:11:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:
> This is a complex one :-(. When the frames get floated, they are turned
> into wxFloatingPane objects by the display manager, thus many of the
> objects in their original frmQuery class are no longer accessible. In
> this case, the crash happens when it tries to update the menus on the
> main query form. I've modified the code to stop it trying if the 'this'
> pointer is of type wxFloatingPane (it doesn't make sense to have the
> buttons/menus reflecting the status of the floating window anyway), and
> added a ctrl-c shortcut to the edit grid control so data can be copied
> out when it's floating.
>
> As there are potentially other bugs caused by this mod, would you mind
> if I mailed you an updated .exe for testing?
>
> Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave!

Results from the tests with the new build you mailed me:
pgAdmin III Beta 3 (Oct 12 2006, rev: 5475:5496)

The reported crashes are gone, but I found a new way to crash it. I
found new bugs, present in original beta3 as well (posted separately).
And not all of the reported bugs are gone. Good news first:

- Boolean values: fixed.
- Edit properties of function with out parameters and line breaks in
comment: fixed.
- Refreshing type or index in object browser: fixed.

- Find & Replace, focus on search text: fixed
But:
Deault setting for "Direction" seems to be "Backwards". "Forwards"
should be more obvious?
<enter> moves the focus to the next element. But that's what <tab>
does already. <enter> should trigger "Find", (not the potentially
harmful "Replace").
Actually, I would much prefer an option to have the whole document
searched (not just forwards or backwards), but I guess that's more like
a feature request, really.

- Crash with floating output pane: fixed
Clicking, dragging, marking and copying do not trigger a crash any more.
Copying works fine, too.
!BUT! Some hours into testing I found a new way crash it. Shuffling with
output pane and scratch pane quickly crashes pgAdmin.
It happens at the moment when I try to dock the output pane or the
scratch pane. Randomly after a couple of tries. Especially when I drag
one over the other (not floating). It "helps" to do it quickly.
To cheer you up: the bug is present in original beta3, too. You did not
introduce it with the fix. :)

- Weird behaviour of database bar: unchanged
Still unusable for me. I cannot chose from the actual databases on the
chosen server, because they are not displayed.
Also, there is no way to pick the user with which to connect.
Help is missing.
Mouse wheel triggers OK.
Maybe my special setup (port forwarded to remote database server)
contributes to the problems. Is this feature working for anyone?

-!! Duplicated schema-prefix: STILL BROKEN
The fix you uploaded, is it in the version I am testing? I still get
SQL-scripts like:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_schema.my_func(integer)
RETURNS SETOF my_schema."my_schema.my_type" AS -- NOTE the
malformed return type
(...)

Hope that helps.
Regards