Re: Postgres XA support

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ludovic Orban <lorban(at)bitronix(dot)be>
Cc: Kris Jurka <jurka(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres XA support
Date: 2006-10-09 11:19:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ludovic Orban wrote:

>> I personally used JOnAS for testing. We should start to collect a list
>> of known working configurations.
>>
>> * JOnAS
>> * WebLogic (with patch; I hope we can get it applied soon)
>> * Orion
>> * Simple JTA
>> * Geronimo (with patch, see the recent thread about auto commit problems)
>
> I agree but what do you call 'working configuration' ?

Good question :).

> Due to the current limitations you could get simple cases working
> while at the same time excluding some very important ones because
> they're unsupported.

Agreed. It'd be nice to have a test application, packaged in an EAR for
example, that would exercise all the unusual scenarios including
recovery. It'd be extremely useful for testing JTA implementations as
well. Sun might actually have a test kit like that, but they're probably
proprietary and expensive.

> I'm not 100% sure about this but the fact that you cannot mix local
> and global transactions will prevent Hibernate applications to work
> when built with JTA. There are many cases where these features that
> look not that important at first are quite critical.

Interesting. I don't know Hibernate very well, but I'd assume that it's
just using the UserTransaction et al. APIs, and shouldn't look any
different than other applications to the JDBC driver.

--
Heikki Linnakangas