Re: 8.0.1 and the ODBC driver

From: Script Head <scripthead(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0.1 and the ODBC driver
Date: 2005-04-01 23:26:21
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> The ODBC driver and the PostgreSQL server are completely separate
> packages to download and install. If you find documentation to the
> contrary, please tell us so we can remove the confusion.

It seems my confution has been caused by a type in README.unix in
psqlodbc-08.00.0101. The sentence reads:

"Since psqlODBC has be moved from the main PostgreSQL source tree, we have yet
to create a new build system for the driver."

I belive it has to read:

"Since psqlODBC has been moved out of the main PostgreSQL source tree,
we have yet
to create a new build system for the driver."

Further, the very same file continues to reference to an older version
of the driver, which can also cause confusion as at this point the
person isn't sure which version of the driver they are working with. I
belive the section that follows should be:

To install, just try something like:

% tar -zxvf psqlodbc-x.y.z.tar.gz
% cd postgresql-x.y.z
% ./configure
% make
% make install

where x.y.z is the version of the driver.

On a side note it'd be useful to add an ODBC related subchapter to the
8.0.1 installation instructions (chapter 14) and explain that the
driver has been moved out of the source tree. I spent quite some time
trying to figure that out.

Sincerely,
ScriptHead