Re: On future conferences

From: mdean <mdean(at)xn1(dot)com>
To: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On future conferences
Date: 2006-09-29 18:09:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 12:18, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>>> I think that if training courses for persons at beginning and advanced
>>> levels were offered, this would be a decent profit center.
>>>

> You do have a point: if we made for a more inclusive (sic popularized) event,
> a sponsor could offer a training course where all proceeds would go to the
> conference itself. A one day training could be broken into two half days thus
> permitting the person to see at least a bit of what else is going on. The
> training fee could either be the admission fee itself or a small additional
> charge added to the basic fee. It would make for good publicity.
>
> robert

Thanks! I think inclusiveness is a real issue with postgresql, both in
terms of pr, and in terms of partnerships with user applications such as
Alfresco who use hibernate for db connectivity. Mysql, due to its
massive user population is the natural first database for these kinds of
enterprise applications, and Mysql provides developer suppoprt for these
applications, but the door is open for postgresql to provide code such
that postgresql is used also.

There is greater payoff for postgresql to begin a new era of
inclusiveness, of integration with higher levels of an application
stack, of partnerships with developers creating business applications,
rather than relying on their commercial cousins for this.