send()/receive() and on-disk storage

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: send()/receive() and on-disk storage
Date: 2006-09-29 13:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Currently, there's a discussion on the pljava list, and we're confused
about a small detail:

Does PostgreSQL call the datatypes' defined send() function before
storing the tuple data in the table, on disk, and call receive() when
reading it again?

My position was that send()/receive() are only used for client
communication in the V3 protocol binary mode, and COPY in binary mode,
but the backend stores them in the tables as_is (modulo compression/
TOASTing).

Is my assumption correct?

Btw, I'm going to triple-check this in the source and via tests, too.

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org