Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies
Date: 2006-09-29 12:25:33
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi, Carlo,

Carlo Stonebanks wrote:

> From what I can see, autovacuum is hitting the db's in question about once
> every five minutes. Does this imply an ANALYZE is being done automatically
> that would meet the requirements we are talking about here? Is there any
> benefit ot explicitly performing an ANALYZE?

Autovacuum looks at the modification statistics (they count how much
modifications happened on the table), and decides whether it's time to
VACUUM (reclaim empty space) and ANALYZE (update column value
distributions) the table.

The exact thresholds for Autovacuum to kick in are configurable, see the
docs.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org