Re: Sockets and posgtres

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: J S B <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sockets and posgtres
Date: 2006-09-27 16:41:23
Lists: pgsql-general
Jim Nasby wrote:

> If I'm understanding what you're trying to do (have a function connect
> to an external process?), I don't think anything exists right now. But
> it shouldn't be too hard to write something to do that. You might want
> to create a generic utility and put it on pgFoundry in case others
> find it useful. Oracle has a package that allows for TCP (as well as
> other communications) from the database; looking at their interface
> might be useful.
> --
> Jim Nasby                                            jim(at)nasby(dot)net
> EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

You can easily do that with PLperl

The funtion then connects to the server running on localhost, and sends
some commands terminated with CRLF.

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION public.psendpopup(text,text)
RETURNS pg_catalog.varchar AS
$BODY$
use IO::Socket;
$sock = new IO::Socket::INET (
PeerAddr => 'localhost',
PeerPort => '32000',
Proto => 'tcp',
);
die "Could not create socket: $!\n" unless $sock;
print $sock "null\r\n";
print $sock "send_broadcast\r\n";
print $sock $_[0]."\r\n";
print $sock $_[1]."\r\n";