horo(r)logy test fail on solaris (again and solved)

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Match(dot)Grun(at)thomson(dot)com
Subject: horo(r)logy test fail on solaris (again and solved)
Date: 2006-09-26 15:31:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I tried regression test with Postgres Beta and horology test field. See
attached log. It appears few month ago - see
I used Sun Studio 11 with -fast flag and SPARC platform.

I played little bit with cc flags and following flags work fine for me:

export CFLAGS="-fast"
export LDFLAGS="-lm -fast"

The fast switch for compiler is very important too, because it links
"fast" library.

Could anybody confirm that it works on his machine?

But the question is if the "-fast" flag is good for postgres. The -fast
flag sets "brutal" floating point optimization and some operation should
have less precision. Is possible verify that floating point operation
works well?

I read postgres documentation about floating point datatypes and that
implementation is platform specific. Developer must take care about it
discrepancies, but should there any other part of postgres code where
"-fast" switch generate some computing defect - it means that result
must be platform independent?

The cc flags are describes in

Previous:From: Jeanna GeierDate: 2006-09-26 15:28:33
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf: 'trust' vs. 'md5' Issues