Restart after power outage: createdb

From: Jon Lapham <lapham(at)jandr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restart after power outage: createdb
Date: 2006-09-26 11:06:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

While trying to reproduce power outage restart problem I reported
earlier, I have found something odd when pulling the plug on a VM during
a createdb operation.

If I run...
sleep 3; echo starting; createdb bar
...and power off the VM while the "createdb bar" is running.

Upon restart, about 50% of the time I can reproduce the following error
message:

[lapham(at)localhost ~]$ psql bar
psql: FATAL: database "bar" does not exist
[lapham(at)localhost ~]$ createdb bar
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: could not create directory
"base/65536": File exists
[lapham(at)localhost ~]$ createdb bar
CREATE DATABASE

So, running "createdb bar" a second time works. This is probably not a
bug, but I thought I'd mention it anyway as it could potentially cause
problems for people running scripts.

--
Jon Lapham <lapham(at)jandr(dot)org> Rio de Janeiro, Brasil