Re: Extracting client code

From: "Jon Earle" <jepg(at)kronos(dot)honk(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extracting client code
Date: 2006-09-28 16:49:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jon Earle" <jepg(at)kronos(dot)honk(dot)org> writes:
>> Can I just take the src/interface/libpq dir
>> contents, parachute them into the same dir as my app, then just compile it
>> all together (after making the appropriate changes to my own app, of
>> course)?
>
> No.  At minimum you're going to need the configure script and src/port/
> as well.  My inclination would just be to ship the unmodified tarball
> and do

I noticed the makefile in the libpq dir made symlinks to a handful of .c
files in src/port and references one .h.  Aside from those, which I could
simply copy into the libpq dir, is there anything inside the libpq dir that
is changed by the configure script that I can't manage myself?  Honestly,
this really doesn't need to be fancy - (hold your nose) it's fine/preferable
to have all the libpq .o's can be linked with myapp.c into a single binary
myapp.

> Obviously you could strip large parts of the tarball out, but then you'd
> have to redo that work every time we update.

I don't see this as an issue... the mysql code in place now is very old -
from the 3.2x days - but works fine to connect to an up-to-date mysql server.
 Unless there is a serious enough issue that demands an update (and perhaps
not even then - the app will always run on a protected network), it will
likely remain as-is until the app is overhauled, replaced or abandoned.

> Also keep in mind the possibility that libpq is already installed on the
> machine you're on.

Possibly, but very unlikely.