Re: pgindent and line length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgindent and line length
Date: 2011-01-25 03:13:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Somehow, pgindent appears to have this approach to push lines that are
>> longer than the defined line length limit back to the left to make it
>> fit.  That results in something like this:
>>
>> Can we get rid of this behavior?

> I think we will have to switch to another indent binary to do that
> because it is done by BSD indent and I can't think of a way of fixing it
> with pre or post processing.

Whether it's fixable or not, I'm going to vote against any change that
will result in any significant number of whitespace changes, because the
pain that will create for back-patching will far outweigh any minor
visual improvements.  I'm still carrying the scars from dealing with
the ill-considered change in comment wrapping rules back around 8.1.
That caused me significant hassle on a regular basis for *years*.