Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: "Pgsql-Performance ((((E-mail))))" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"
Date: 2006-09-22 21:50:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 22-9-2006 22:34 Vivek Khera wrote:
> so you think AMD is just sitting around twiddling their thumbs and
> saying "well, time to give up since Intel is faster today". no. there
> will be back-and forth between these two vendors to our benefit. I
> would expect next-gen AMD chips to be faster than the intels. If not,
> then perhaps they *should* give up :-)

Please read the english translation of that article I gave earlier
today. Than you can see the set-up and that its a bit childish to quote
"benchmark" as you did in the title of this thread.
All the answers in your initial mail are answered in the article, and as
said, there is an english translation of the dutch article you posted.

What you conclude from that translation is not the conclusion of the
article, just that AMD has *no* answer at this time and won't have for
at least somewhere in 2007 when their K8L will hit the market.
But the K8L is not likely to be as much faster as the Opteron was to the
first Xeon's, if at all faster...

If you're an AMD-fan, by all means, buy their products, those processors
are indeed fast and you can build decent servers with them. But don't
rule out Intel, just because with previous processors they were the
slower player ;)

Best regards,

Arjen van der Meijden