Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ResultSetMetaData.getTableName() == null
Date: 2006-09-22 13:23:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Alex,

Alex Stienstra wrote:
> MySQL returns the tablename if possible otherwise the alias. I find this
> an acceptable solution. Having at least a name one could query the meta
> system in other to determine whether it is a table name or not.

The problem is that PostgreSQL does not pass any information about
aliases down to the client.

So we have two possibilities to implement this feature: Hack up the
server to provide that additional info, or implement a fully-fledged SQL
parser in the client and get the alias names ourselves.

Both seems not worth it currently.

HTH,
Markus
Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS