Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"

From: nicky <nicky(at)valuecare(dot)nl>
To: Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"
Date: 2006-09-22 08:58:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hello Hannes,

The text above the pictures on page 13. Translated in my crappy english.

The confrontation between the Opteron and Woodcrest was inevitable in
this article, but who can add 1 and 1 should have known from the
previous two pages that it doesn't look that good for AMD . Under loads
of 25 till 100 simultaneous visitors, the Xeon performs 24% better with
MSQL 4.1.20, 30% better in MySQL 5.0.20a and 37% better in PostgreSQL
8.2-dev. In short, the Socket F Opteron doesn't stand a chance, although
the Woodcrest scales better and has such a high startpoint with one
core, there is no chance of beating it. We can imagine that the Opteron
with more memory and production hardware, would be a few % faster, but
the difference with the Woodcrest is that high that we have a hard time
believing that the complete picture would change that much.

Regards,
Nick