Re: On future conferences

From: mdean <mdean(at)xn1(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: On future conferences
Date: 2006-09-20 01:06:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> and another person who can devote 150+ hours to fundraising for it,
>> *assuming* we can afford a professional event team (otherwise, it's
>> more hours). Andrew and I did the bulk this last year (with
>> considerable time investment from Peter, Gavin, Neil and Gavin) and
>> we can't afford it this year.
>>
>> If we had some community people who could devote the time, then I
>> think we could get the money.
>
> However, make no mistake this is a big project and not something that
> can just be done on a whim. It takes an unusual amount of dedication
> and organization.

There is another way to look at this! Consider, what business is the
postgresql community in? Is it producing the absolute best sql standard
database, and slowly getting it accepted in the open source world and
beyond, or is the community in the business of producing viable and ever
increasing in scope shows at that!

If it is the former, then why not think of hooking up with someone who
is in the latter biz! PostgresWorld, etc. Why must all these things be
conceived, written and produced by the community??!! Wouldn't it be
better for the database and the community if the community stuck to its
knitting, and started moving in the direction of more partnerships??
Just a thought from the sidelines.
Michael