Performance issue with odbc?

From: "per-olov(dot)esgard" <per-olov(dot)esgard(at)bonetmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance issue with odbc?
Date: 2006-09-19 08:31:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi there!

I have a performance problem, but I don't know if it's an
odbc driver problem or a problem with the actual database. I
am performing many inserts by calling a stored procedure
written in PL/pgSQL. I am using a stored procedure since the
insert operation deals with multiple tables.

What I have tried to do to speed up the inserts are two
things:
1 I have disabled autocommit in the driver and tried to
commit chunks between 1 .. 1000 inserts.
2 I have introduced an insert buffer in the odbc client,
thus limiting the number is SQLExecute's to (total
inserts)/(buffer size)

The problem is that neither disabling autocommit nor using
an insert buffer gives me the performance boost I have
experienced with other relational databases. Actually
disabling autocommit gives me poorer performance than using
autocommit. Using the insert buffer gives me a little better
performance (very little).

Any idea, anyone?

Regards Per-Olov Esgard