Re: Portable Postgres?

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Portable Postgres?
Date: 2006-09-14 01:25:14
Lists: sfpug
Steve Atkins wrote:
> I don't know what the current lifetime of flash is, but I suspect that
> putting data (as opposed to OS or binaries) on it might be painful, both
> in terms of write speed and the flash drive dying. You could rely on
> copying the data onto the host PC before using it, or something, but it

Good points.  In my case, I'm planning to use an ipod which has a hard
drive (I think?) so this should be less of an issue (but clearly we're
not going to be raising the benchmarks on any kind of performance
metric).  Interesting idea on the mini hitatchi drives.  How long is it
until we have "computer on a stamp" that we just need to carry with us
and plug into a "host"?

> usable than trying to get it on flash. You could even load a vmware
> appliance onto it and have a fair bit of your full development

Can VMWare be run without being "installed" in the host computer?

Brian