Win32 hard crash problem

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Win32 hard crash problem
Date: 2006-08-31 20:45:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello,

Dave Cramer and I have dealt with a company today running 8.1.4 on
Windows 2003. The application is a web app that runs via JDBC/Hibernate.

The application will function perfectly for about 2/3 weeks and then we
will receive a:

"server sent data (\"D\" message) without prior row description (\"T\"
message)");

(not escaped of course).

Subsequent connections to the database will fail (such as pgAdmin) and
Windows must be completely rebooted. I did ask if they were able to kill
the process via the task manager. Instead they opt to use the service
options and when that fails (which is always) they reboot the machine
entirely.

PostgreSQL will also not recover on its own (e.g; auto restart and roll
through the logs).

The good news is at that on reboot the problem goes away for 2/3 weeks.
I have verified that they are doing all requisite routine maintenance.

I currently have the customer running hardware checks to verify validity
of the hardware but...

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake