Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chahine Hamila <chahine(dot)hamila(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: integration of pgcluster into postgresql
Date: 2006-08-27 14:51:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> My take on all this is that there's no one-size-fits-all replication
> solution, and therefore the right approach is to have multiple active
> subprojects.
Anybody knowing a little about the world of replication needs will
agree with you here. Unfortunately, AFAICS pgcluster can't be added as
module as e.g. Slony-I, since it's rather a not-so-small patch to the
pgsql sources. So I wonder if it's possible to provide some
not-too-intrusive hooks in core pgsql, enabling pgcluster to do most of
the work in modules, to have the best of both worlds: core with as few
modifications as possible, and modules extending the operation,
profiting from backend development immediately.

Regards,
Andreas