Re: Latest ODBC driver?

From: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl(dot)pgsql-odbc(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Latest ODBC driver?
Date: 2006-08-27 11:40:56
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Dave Page wrote:

> Mark; if you can wait for the new release, I think you'll be much happier in the long term.

I can hold on a little while, scheduling the work isn't straightforward.

Three questions if I may:

i)   What is the the minimum acceptable ODBC DLL versions I think I saw 3.51
     somewhere? Knowing this I might be able to contribute some more coherent
     testing/debugging info.

ii)  Does the new driver insist on Unicode, and do I need to accomodate that
     in the app/database/table setup?

iii) How do I de-install the 8.01.0200 driver? The usual way of working from
     NT's control panel applet simply reinstalls it.

Apologies for all this, but I'm still running (firewalled) NT application
servers pending an eventual switch to Linux. I'd add that I've drummed up a lot
of enthusiasm for the Linux+PostgreSQL combination here and do my best to
promote it, but this sort of thing hardly bolsters my position.

My situation is that we're offering a "push" service 24 x 7 so I have some scope
for planned outages- it's not as though it's a web site. However upgrading the
server from 7.x to 8.x with few schema changes was not something I was
relishing- and while I've at least got an adequate amount of data on the new
server to test against I'm disappointed that all I've achieved is a dry run.

The problem as it was manifesting itself late last night was that one particular
program- which is actually pretty trivial- was grabbing memory at the rate of
around 50Kb per second. To say that it wasn't doing that when connected via the
old driver to the old server is an understatement :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk