Re: Adding fulldisjunctions to the contrib

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tzahi Fadida <Tzahi(dot)ML(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding fulldisjunctions to the contrib
Date: 2006-08-26 14:46:12
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Sorry, we did not get enough feedback to include this in 8.2.  Please
>> add it to pgfoundry and let's see how it goes.
>
> Yep... it's too bad.  A new feature no other database has now goes to
> it's final resting place on pgfoundry.

Jonah,

this is inaccurate, irresponsible and insulting to those of us who spend
time maintaining pgfoundry. It is not a graveyard. Plenty of stuff
outside the core gets included in packaged distributions - just see for
example what goes into the Windows distro, or the packages that CP
distributes.

The implication of your statement is that anything not accepted into the
core is automatically somehow considered unworthy. Please refer to Tom's
recent remarks about playing on extensibility as one of our strengths.

My impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that proper full
disjunction support would include grammar support, in which case contrib
is not where it should belong anyway. If that's so, then the next step
would be for somebody to pick up the work that Tzahi has done and take
it the rest of the way. That would be a worth goal for 8.3.

cheers

andrew