phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1

From: barbara figueirido <barbara(at)bariloche(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: phppgadmin not working under v. 8.1
Date: 2006-08-25 01:58:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello!

I am running a debian sarge system, which originally had postgresql
7.4.7-6; I removed that installation of postgresql and compiled version
8.1, without problems.

Now, the issue is, I cannot connect from phppgadmin (which I didn't
touch, so it's sarge's original 3.5.2-5), it returns each time "login
failed" ; php and phppgadmin are working properly, or at least they were
when I was still running the older postgres version, user / password are
also the same as before.

I looked through this list, and the only hints I found pointed towards
the line "tcpip_socket" in postgresql.conf; but it seems that that line
has been replaced by a more general one "listen_addresses"
(
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release-8-0.html )

I modified the postgresql.conf file uncommenting the port number and
giving the (private) network address number as argument to
"listen_addresses", so:

# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = '192.168.1.0' # what IP address(es) to
listen on;
# comma-separated list of addresses;
# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
port = 5432
max_connections = 100

and the pg_hba.conf file to listen to all local connections and all
connections coming from the local network, so

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
host all all 192.168.1.0/24 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust

--------------
restarting thereafter the postmaster, but nonetheless it is still
impossible to authenticate to it via phppg admin (it may be obvious, but
the psql client connects perfectly)

I am sorry if I am skipping something obvious, and apologize in advance
for it if this were the case; anyway, I would be very grateful if
somebody could give me some hint where to look for, since I need the
visual interface for daily work.

Thank you all very much for the continuous feedback,

Bárbara Figueirido
S.C. de Bariloche