Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....

From: "Tim Clarke" <Tim(dot)Clarke(at)manifest(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....
Date: 2006-02-10 11:12:26
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Luf.

Lol - don't use that often - forgot the default file name. Sample files
attached.

> It's strange for me that it's choosing twice.

I requested the latin1 setting manually in the ODBC Datasource (page 2)
"connect settings". Immediately after sending this the driver sends a
latin9 request.

> This is the answer :-)
> Hmmm. The driver doesn't care this one setting. It override it
> automatically :-( Are you able to compile the driver yourself?
> If so I can post you the hint how to disable automatic encoding
> detection.

I'm sure the driver is doing the setting for the right reason, its
probably just me that has some settings wrong that means its choosing
latin9 when we don't need it to.

> > > It means you may use "PostgreSQL Unicode" driver instead of
> > > "PostgreSQL ANSI"
> >
> > We have found that the euro symbol and other accented
> characters are not
> > correctly stored if we do that. This database is currently
> coming across
> > nightly from an Oracle database so I'll be able to switch to Unicode
> > once that transition is complete. Real soon now.
>
> I'm not sure if we are both talking about same thing.
> When you use LATIN1 PgSQL database and UNICODE psqlODBC
> driver there is
> the problem?

No, we tried a unicode database with the unicode ODBC psqldriver.
MSAccess couldn't write the correct characters to the database.

> I'm a little bit confused how it depend on "This database is currently
> coming across nightly from an Oracle database". My English isn't
> good. Maybe I only understand you bad.

We have a nightly script (based around the ora2pg project -
http://www.samse.fr/GPL/) that sucks our live Oracle database to the
developing Postgres replacement database. We have found that if the
postgres database is unicode, we corrupt the international characters
and euro symbols here, too.

> What psqlODBC driver do you use? 08.00.0102 os some 08.01.XXXX?

I have had this problem with evry driver from 08.01.01xx to the current
08.01.02

> Regards,
>
> Luf

Regards and thanks for your continuing attention.

Tim Clarke

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Arnaud LesauvageDate: 2006-02-10 11:23:52