Re: running PostGres without installing it

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jesus martinez <jesus_martinez1967(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: running PostGres without installing it
Date: 2006-08-06 14:40:54
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

jesus martinez schrieb:
> hello, how are you ?

We don't care.

> i want to distribute a copy of PostGres to my clients.
> they really dont know anything about installing
> programs or configurating remote RDBMS sql-servers,
> so i dont want to give them the
> "official-PostGres-installer.exe"
> but my own installer.exe (win32) that:

This will be hard for you, since you even cannot spell the name of the
program right. How do you want to support your clients then?

> 1) install the PostGres's required files
> 2) modify the system as PostGres needs (registry,
> paths, etc)

postgresql on cygwin needs no regisztry entries, cygwin needs the mount
points in the registry which will created automatically if you do the
setup via the official way. Don't ask here, how to install a cygwin
package. Read the webpage instructions at http://cygwin.com/

> 3) execute it as a process, not as a service (if it is
> possible)
> (it must run also on win98 machines)
> 4) enable the server in a port readed from an INI file
> or
> something like that.
> 5) delete the default super-user or change its
> password
> 6) creates the tables-structure that my client-app
> needs
> 7a) insert the data or
> 7b) copy db-files to hdd, assign them in PostGres and
> make
> them available via PostGres.
> 8) create the dbuser that will be used by clients-apps
> 9) assign that dbuser to my tables
>
> all without any kind of user interaction.

Very simple tasks for someone who knows postgresql.

> - where can i get information about the required
> information
> (i mean: basic required files, registry changes, conf
> files, sql commands to do what i need) ?

No registry changes besides the mount points for cygwin are needed,
if you really want to go this way. But if you do that, the cygwin
mailing list will not help you or your clients. Then you have to give
them support.

cygwin installs.
I believe someone has done it for rsync and ssh installations already,
but didn't post his install script (for the nsis installer if I remember
correctly) publicly. You have to ask him.

The rest is your work alone and -cygwin is the inappropriate list for
such basic SQL tasks. Maybe the pgsql-novice list will help you.

> - if this is not possible, may i call the default
> PostGre's
> installer in silent mode ? and if so, what are the
> command-lines
> to set the defaults settings ?

No. You want win98, which is not supported by the native build.
You have to use the cygwin package which is installable via
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

> - can any of you help me in any of those tasks ?

Sorry, doing this automatically is a major task and I don't have time in
helping there.
If you managed to do that, we will be very happy to receive your install
script.
--
Reini - voluntary postgresql-cygwin maintainer