Re: Main page: about us

From: mdean <mdean(at)xn1(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Main page: about us
Date: 2006-07-31 22:23:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>mdean wrote:
>

>>I would be much more comfortable with the postgresql community if its
>>front page were more informative and sales oriented to general newbies
>>from all walks of life, without making unverifiable assumptions that
>>"everyone knows". People are not going to be sold on postgresql because
>>of an elephant button, or a long winded fact page that only programmers
>>understand, or a reference CD nobody will use. I would like to see
>>sales oriented stuff on the top turf:: vision statement, philosophy of
>>the community (see Debian and Gentoo), motto, value proposition, goals
>>and objectives, etc. devote the entire one third left column to
>>testimonials from companies using pg, and finally, if you are going to
>>change the name, keep it to two syllables that are conceptual in nature,
>>not an insider's reference to the past. JMTCWAAN
>>

>This opinion I concur with. We could even have a
>two-conceptual-syllabes nice name: Postgres.
>
>Not that I'm up for doing any of this though, but talk is cheap.
>
>(What's a conceptual syllabe anyway?)

a conceptual syllable is one which is immediately recognizable to the
average guy on the street. For instance, post has concepts -- we see a
post sticking out of the ground, a good concept, but not relevant to the
product. Hoever, gres defies mental imagery, it is constructual, like
the id, ego, and superego, not rooted in the everyday experiences of
man, subject to horrendous definition and redefinition, and
unmeasurable. SQL, in the everyday concepts of educated persons, is
more of a concept than a construct, and when coupled with MY, produces a
powerful image set. I believe that a huge portion of the play MYSQL is
getting relies solely on its name - it is almost a self-fullfilling
prophecy - it allows one to take ownership. This is in contrast to
Postgresql, which leaves one indifferent, or cold, and certainly without
a solid intrinisic understanding of what it is. Imagery plays an
important role in trademarking and logo production.