Re: Main page: about us

From: mdean <mdean(at)xn1(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Main page: about us
Date: 2006-07-31 15:02:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>I wrote:
>

>>>The main page (www.postgresql.org/) no longer states anywhere
>>>except in the top banner graphic what exactly PostgreSQL *is*.
>>>

>Joshua D .Drake replied:
>

>>I don't agree. Most people know what PostgreSQL is. People will
>>also not likely "fall" upon us.
>>

>I stand by my assertion: the main page should absolutely say
>what Postgres is. Take a look at what other .org projects have
>as the first text on their pages:
>
>http://www.python.org/
>"Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language..."
>
>http://www.gimp.org/
>"GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program."
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/
>"FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for..."
>
>http://www.linux.org/
>"Linux is a free Unix-type operating system originally created..."
>
>http://www.perl.org/
>"Perl is a stable, cross platform programming language..."
>
>http://www.php.org/
>"PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language..."
>
>I see no evidence that they are all wrong, and you are right. :)
>

>>We need to be advocating in the loudest reasonable voice (which is that
>>part of the main page) everything that is going on.
>>

>Amen to that. We could certainly be using our screen real estate more
>effectively as well: see www.python.org for a good example. There's
>more I could say about the page, but I want to keep this thread focused
>on getting some "who we are" text back on the main page, as soon as possible.
>
>- --
>Greg Sabino Mullane greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
>PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200607291214
>http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

I would be much more comfortable with the postgresql community if its
front page were more informative and sales oriented to general newbies
from all walks of life, without making unverifiable assumptions that
"everyone knows".  People are not going to be sold on postgresql because
of an elephant button, or a long winded fact page that only programmers
understand, or a reference CD nobody will use.  I would like to see
sales oriented stuff on the top turf:: vision statement, philosophy of
the community (see Debian and Gentoo), motto,  value proposition, goals
and objectives, etc.  devote the entire one third left column to
testimonials from companies using pg, and finally, if you are going to
change the name, keep it to two syllables that are conceptual in nature,
not an insider's reference to the past.  JMTCWAAN