PGSQL 8.1 with UTF-8 databses and Windows ODBC data encoding error.

From: Clemens Schwaighofer <cs(at)tequila(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGSQL 8.1 with UTF-8 databses and Windows ODBC data encoding error.
Date: 2006-07-31 02:46:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Problem with Postgres 8.1 UTF8 databses and the Postgres 8.03.0002
windows ODBC driver.

I have a Debian/testing box with Postgres 8.1 and several DBs in UTF8
with japanese text inside.

My servers are two windows 2000 servers. One is in english, one is
Japanese - OS is in this language, and the Country settings are set also
like this.

If I use the old 7.03.0200 Postgres ODBC driver and I connect from the
english Windows 2000 server I get the data back in UTF-8 (I sent SET
client_encoding TO 'UTF-8');

On the japanese Windows 2000 I always get SJIS with the 7.03.0200 driver
unless I set the country settings to English, then it accets the client
encoding UTF-8.

After I upgraded the DB to 8.1, I also had to upgrade the driver. But
after the upgrade I now get only Qeustionmarks, instead of japanese
text. Same on both servers. BUT if I switch the japaense Windows 2000
country settings back to Japanese, I get SJIS encoded data back,
whatever "SET client_encoding" I send to the server. If I switch the
japanese Server to english, I get the same Mojibake Questonmarks.

I also have to use "Version 6.4" driver settings, or I get no data back
(log error says rrmsg='Unexpected protocol character during
authentication', if I choose 7.4+ in the settings).

I am not sure why, or what. But I hope this can be fixed somehow, so I
can define what kind of charset I would like to recieve in the ASP
programs. Right now I still have to run with the old river and the 7.4
databses for the windows applications.

--
[ Clemens Schwaighofer -----=====:::::~ ]
[ TEQUILA\ Japan IT Group ]