Re: Performance of the listen command

From: Flemming Frandsen <ff(at)partyticket(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance of the listen command
Date: 2006-07-29 10:44:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Fuhr wrote:
> Also, based on a 60ms-per-listen time I suspect you're not doing
> the listens in a transaction, so each listen is its own transaction
> that has to be committed, resulting in a disk hit. Try doing them
> all in one transaction.

I think I am doing the listens in a transaction, as I connect via DBI
with AutoCommit=>0, unless there is some bug that causes the listens to
not start a new transaction when using DBI.

I also see a problem with the first query I run in a transaction, it
takes a very long time, even if it's simply a "select 6*7", I'm guessing
this is because a new transaction is started, is there any way to
improve performance of that?

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Do you regularly vacuum the pg_listener table?

No, but this is on a system that has been running for a couple of days.

--
Regards Flemming Frandsen - http://dion.swamp.dk - YAPH