Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] [Fwd: RE: Build farm on Windows]

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Phil Cairns <phil(at)pagaros(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] [Fwd: RE: Build farm on Windows]
Date: 2006-07-29 02:18:33
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>
>> WARNING: could not read time zone file
>> "/home/pgbuild/devel/pginst/share/postgresql/timezonesets/Default": No
>> such file or directory
>>

>> so it's there but as a msys-virtual path - is that get passed to some
>> win32 function expecting a windows-style path ?
>>

> Doh, I see what's the problem: we calculate the sharedir path using
> my_exec_path, and falling back to the hardwired PGSHAREDIR path if
> my_exec_path isn't correct. The problem is that in a Windows
> subprocess, my_exec_path isn't correct until read_backend_variables
> has been done, and *that happens after InitializeGUCOptions* in
> SubPostmasterMain(). So we're trying to set up the tz name data
> before we have the path we need.

Is there a reason we have to do things in this order? Could we just
postpone the call to InitializeGUCOptions() for a couple of lines?

If not, then ...
> The reason I didn't notice this in testing with EXEC_BACKEND is that
> I wasn't testing in a relocated installation, and so the fallback
> get_share_path calculation got the right answer anyway.
>
> Not sure about a clean fix. Probably we'll have to do something
> similar to the way TimeZone is handled, where we don't try to read
> in the data until later on in the initialization sequence.

I guess we'd need to set a flag that would postpone reading the data
just during the startup phase, but have it called immediately in all
other cases.

cheers

andrew