Re: Copy Schema

From: Keith Worthington <KeithW(at)NarrowPathInc(dot)com>
To: Derrick Betts <derrick(at)blueaxis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy Schema
Date: 2006-07-28 16:28:32
Lists: pgsql-novice
>>> Is there a way to create a "template" schema, similar to modifying
>>> the template1 to use for new database creation?
>>
>> Certainly. Any database can be used as a template. template1 is used
>> by default. Check out the CREATE DATABASE docs:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-
>> createdatabase.html
>>
>>> I read that there is a way to restore a schema with pg_restore
>>> command. Is the best or only way to accomplish this?
>>

>> Well, if you haven't loaded data into a database you want to use as a
>> template (or it only has data you want to include in the new
>> database), you can use CREATE DATABASE as well.
>
>Derrick Betts wrote:
> I know how to create new databases by using the template1 already.  I
> want to create new schemas with the requirements outlined in the
> original email. Any thoughts?
>
> Derrick

Derrick,

There seems to be some confusion as to whether you want to create a new
database with an existing schema or add a predefined schema to an
existing database.

If the former then check out the docs at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-createdatabase.html
and try something like
CREATE DATABASE mydb
   WITH TEMPLATE = mytemplatedb;

If the latter then check out the docs at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-pgdump.html
and try something like
pg_dump --file=outfile.sql
         --format=p
         --schema=myschema
         --schema-only
         --verbose
         mytemplatedb
to generate the schema commands and psql to run them in the target database.

HTH

--

Kind Regards,
Keith