Re: Query returned unhandled type 16411

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Roger Merritt <Roger_Merritt(at)SpatialTapestry(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, roger_merritt(at)rta(dot)nsw(dot)gov(dot)au
Subject: Re: Query returned unhandled type 16411
Date: 2006-07-28 13:34:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Roger Merritt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried several installs of postgresql-8.1.3-1 and postgresql-8.1.4-1,
> with psqlodbc-08_02_0002.zip and PgOleDb-1.0.0.20.zip.
>
> After each uninstall I delete the entire contents of the C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL directory.
>
> I am using VB6 SP6b.
>
> My 'Connection' string is:
> Provider=PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider;Password=xxxxxx;User ID=postgres;Data
> Source=127.0.0.1;Location=spatial;Extended Properties=""
>
> When the following code runs against a table with a geometry column I get
> the following error:
>
> Query returned unhandled type 16411

It looks like the odbc/ole-db drivers don't know anything about the
geometry types. That's not terribly surprising, since I don't know of
any MS-standard modeling polygons circles etc. as database objects.
Presumably any custom types you design will have the same problem too.

Hmm - it's presumably non-trivial to add type handling for the Windows
drivers without a C compiler and associated tools. Your best bet is to
contact the odbc/ole-db mailing lists and see if they have any bright
ideas. An option to handle unrecognised types as text could make sense.

It might be you can work-around the problem for the moment by accessing
a view that does the cast-to-text for the geometry columns.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd