Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86

From: Seneca Cunningham <tentra(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Fremer <jfremer(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86
Date: 2006-09-05 15:01:42
Lists: pgsql-ports

On 05-Sep-2006, at 10:32 :57, Josh Fremer wrote:

> I can't believe I forgot to mention this before, but the version of
> postgresql I'm trying to install is 8.1.4.

That was my guess, given the source build for stable and the line
numbers in your config.log.

> On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
>
>> If you have a deb-src entry for main in your sources.list, you can
>> use "apt-get build-dep" followed by a Debian postgres package name
>> to find what development packages Debian considers to be
>> required. I can't remember the full package list off hand, but
>> expect there to be packages like libc6-dev, libreadline5-dev, cpp,
>> perl-dev, libssl-dev, zlib-dev.
>
> Thanks for this excellent tip; I had no idea the "build-dep"
> functionality even existed. I tried doing an "apt-get build-dep"
> on the latest version of postgresql in stable (7.4 I believe) which
> installed a whole bunch of stuff which probably helped, but didn't
> solve the problem
>
> I then opted to add the testing branch to my sources list and do an
> "apt-get build-dep postgresql-8.1" since this is the same major
> version of postgresql I'm trying to build. This yields the same
> error.

[...snip config.log segment...]

Now that I'm connected to a Linux system, I've tried your original
configure line of:

./configure --with-perl --with-openssl \
--with-includes=/usr/include/linux/:/usr/include \
--with-libraries=/usr/lib/

and reproduced your results. Change that to:

./configure --with-perl --with-openssl \
--with-includes=/usr/include --with-libraries=/usr/lib

and it should work. Incidentally, the --with-includes and
--with-libraries aren't necessary at this point as /usr/include and /
usr/lib are in the default search path of gcc, ld, and cpp.

--
Seneca Cunningham
tentra(at)gmail(dot)com