Re: Is there a gui front end for this wonderful db program

From: Fred Frazelle <frazelle09(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a gui front end for this wonderful db program
Date: 2006-07-23 21:57:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

<head>
</head>
Andrew Hammond wrote:
cite="mid5a0a9d6f0607231403i3d4dbb2er38937e687cfa7805(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com"
type="cite">Have you considered using the ODBC driver to plug your
access front-end into a postgres database?<br>
class="gmail_sendername">Fred Frazelle</b> &lt;<a
href="mailto:frazelle09(at)yahoo(dot)com">
frazelle09(at)yahoo(dot)com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
and haven't found one yet. Have tried<br>
Navicat, DbWrench, EDb-win32, PGAdmin III, and several others. All<br>
pretty much allow table creation and i can link my two tables and some<br>
even allow queries but when i run the query, all i get is the first<br>
row. But the supposedly the automatic ID is not inserted and even<br>
though i can insert data into the first row, the ID must be inserted by<br>
hand. Don't know what to do. Am waiting on OpenOffice to upgrade<br>
their driver or whatever it is they need to upgrade in order to create<br>
linked queries which are able to not only select but update the db as
well.<br>
Any ideas?<br>
A little background... i've been looking for more than a year now and
want<br>
something which is multiuser bec. there are about 15 of us in our<br>
child development department office. We put an Access db together<br>
ourselves which serves our needs pretty nicely but our IT Dept. wants us<br>
go out and buy another program bec. Access chokes or coughs at least a
couple of times a week and they say it's bec. we have too many users
trying to<br>
access it at once (15 is too many?). Our db only holds about 1500<br>
records and we've maybe got 3 linked tables. It's pretty simple but we<br>
were able to put it together ourselves and have been able to convert<br>
all our old paper forms to Access and make up all of the reports the<br>
state and county need. We figure if we can find a way to use<br>
PostgreSQL by ourselves and port? over most of the tables and at least<br>
some of the forms and reports to begin with, we could convince our IT
dept. and our<br>
boss not to spend the taxpayers money on another propietary db. Besides
the new one they are thinking about buying cannot be modified by us. <br>
None of us are programmers. We work with the public. We've gotten as
far as being able to download and install PostgreSQL and have been able
to set up the server? and have created a couple of tables and linked
them. That's it. Who<br>
knows, maybe one of these days we can even convince them to use a real<br>
OS like Linux which would save even more. Well, here goes. Have a<br>
great day! :)</tt>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes, we have considered this approach, but we are trying to develop
an alternative to MS now so that when the IT dept. comes around the
next time and offers us an upgrade to the MS Office suite, we can have <br>
our alternative working and be able to suggest to them that they
investigate some other Office suite, for example Open Office, and that
we also have a db solution to Access.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Have a great afternoon and thanks again!&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; <span

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 3.6 KB