Re: increment counter in VIEW

From: Oleg <evdakov(at)iwg(dot)uka(dot)de>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: increment counter in VIEW
Date: 2006-07-12 15:03:01
Lists: pgsql-novice
Dear Richard,
Thank you very much for your link. It looks like it could do the job I want.
Unfortunately I have problem with inserting this functionality into my VIEW
I tried:
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW my_view AS SELECT
       S.a AS test,
        knoten."GEOMETRY",
        knoten.knoten,
FROM
         generate_series(1,300) AS S(a),
         knoten knoten
WHERE
          knoten.knoten::text = knoten_flaeche.knoten::text;

Without generate_series my View produces 300 records. if I insert
generate_series then I get 90000 because it tries all possible
combinations with S.a. I do not know how can I limit it with WHERE.

I also tried to work with SEQUENCES but each time we update sequence it
continue to count from the last number. For example from 1-300 then from
300-600, etc.

We would be very grateful if you or somebody on this list could help us
further.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Oleg