Installer errors on WinXP SP2

From: Ilias Goudaropoulos <ig(at)freemail(dot)gr>
To: Admin PostgreSQL <" pgsql-novice"(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installer errors on WinXP SP2
Date: 2006-07-12 08:46:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

When I try to install PostgrSQL 8.1.4-1 on WinXP Sp2 I get the following
errors in that particular order:

"Failed to connect to the database. Procedural languages files are
installed, but are not activated in any databases."

"server closed the connection unexpectedly.
This probably means the server terminated
abnormally
before or while procesing the request."

"failed to connect to the 'template1' database. Contrib files are
installed, but are not activated in any databases."

"server closed the connection unexpectedly.
This probably means the server terminated
abnormally
before or while procesing the request."

Can I anybody please help?

I do not have an antivirus or firewall installed and I have the windows
firewall service disabled.