Re: pgsql vs mysql

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "howachen(at)gmail(dot)com" <howachen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql vs mysql
Date: 2006-07-11 16:04:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/30/2006 1:07 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> * mysql has a few features here and there which are nice...just to
> name a few, flush tables with lock, multiple insert, etc

I have no clue what flushing tables with lock might be good for. Are
applications in MySQuirreL land usually smarter than the DB engine with
respect to when to checkpoint or not?

The multiple insert stuff is not only non-standard, it also encourages
the bad practice of using literal values directly in the SQL string
versus prepared statements with place holders. It is bad practice
because it introduces SQL injection risks since the responsibility of
literal value escaping is with the application instead of the driver.

Everything that teaches new developers bad things counts as a
disadvantage in my book, so -1 on that for MySQL too.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #