Re: Is postgresql ca do the job for software deployed in ASP

From: David Gagnon <dgagnon(at)siunik(dot)com>
To: Mikael Carneholm <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is postgresql ca do the job for software deployed in ASP
Date: 2006-07-04 13:33:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mikael Carneholm wrote:
>> For my application there is very little info I can share. Maybe less
>>
> than 10 on 100 actually so I not sure it worth it ...
>
> Ok, so 90% of the tables are being written to - this either means that
> your application uses very little constants, or that it has access to
> constans that are stored somewhere else (eg, a JMX Mbean that's
> initialized from property files on application startup). Would it be too
> much work to redesign the DB model to support more than one client?

Yes configuration are in property files or somewhere else. I will keep
this solution in mind but for now I really think that would really
complicated for what it will give in return...

>> I look into the HP DL385 and DL585 on HP site and they are price
>>
> between
>
>> 3000 and 15000$$ (base price). Thats quite a difference? So is the HP
>>

>> DL385 with 2 cpus will do the job ?
>>

> Yeah, there's quite a difference on the price tags between those two.
> I'd vote for the DL385 since the sockets for the two extra CPU's won't
> give you linear scalability per $ in the end. A single machine may be
> cheaper to administrate, but if administration costs are
> irrelevant/negligible I'd go for several 2-socket machines instead of
> one 4-socket machine.

I do need 2 machines since I need an HA solution. So on top of those
question I try to figure out if Slony-I can do the job in my scenario or
do I need the Mammoth solution. I'm searching the list right now and
there is not a lot of info... :-( Any Idea?

So thanks for the info about the DL385 I will look deeply into it !

Best Regards
/David