number characters on the command line

From: "Keith D(dot) Evans" <evans(at)umbc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: number characters on the command line
Date: 2006-06-29 22:27:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear novices,

I searched the database but none of questions/answers seemed to apply to
this problem.

I am using select to select data (duh!) but I am specifying a large
WHERE clause to localize my search. It seems that when I have entered
more than 256 characters and hit enter, I get a syntax error at or near
character 1. When I do \p, to display the query, it shows the portion of
the command that exceeds the max query length (which is how I discovered
the max length). How can I use more than 256 characters in my select
command?

I am using 7.4.1.

thanx,
keith

--
"Every magnificent history begins with something small." Daisaku Ikeda
Keith D. Evans

Any opinions expressed in this email are not those of
NASA, or the Goddard Space Flight Center, or the Joint
Center for Earth Systems Technology or the University
of Maryland Baltimore County.