Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun Donated a Sun Fire T2000 to the PostgreSQL community
Date: 2006-06-16 22:34:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 16-6-2006 17:18, Robert Lor wrote:

> I think this system is well suited for PG scalability testing, among
> others. We did an informal test using an internal OLTP benchmark and
> noticed that PG can scale to around 8 CPUs. Would be really cool if all
> 32 virtual CPUs can be utilized!!!

I can already confirm very good scalability (with our workload) on
postgresql on that machine. We've been testing a 32thread/16G-version
and it shows near-linear scaling when enabling 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 cores
(with all four threads enabled).

The threads are a bit less scalable, but still pretty good. Enabling 1,
2 or 4 threads for each core yields resp 60 and 130% extra performance.

Best regards,

Arjen