Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text fieldto memo type

From: "Campbell, Greg" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: ioguix <igxnews(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text fieldto memo type
Date: 2006-06-09 16:00:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Its an Access problem.
I made linked tables to a postgresql 8.x database (on Linux server) with Access 97 and Access XP.
Access 97 interpreted the Postgresql text type column as Access Text(255) (That's Bad).
Access XP interpreted the same as Memo (That is Good).

I don't know if any of the ODBC driver settings can overcome the issue.

ioguix wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use odbc unicode driver to link tables from my pgsql 8.1.3 server to
> Access97 SR2 (and latest jet engine 4.0 SP 8).
>
> Everything is working well, even inserting row work without #deleted on
> update (like with the ansi driver despite of serial PK on tables :s)
>
> Actualy, one thing doesn't work properly. It's a well know issue, but I
> didn't find how to correct it (_and_I_read_lots_of_webpages_about_that_!_)
>
> TEXT type in my pgsql database aren't map to memo type in Access. I
> don't mind sorting, index or order on these fields, but I really need
> more than 255 chars on them.
>
> And, yes, checked the "text as LongVarChar" in the ODBC configuration.
>
> Here the table I use for my tests :
>
> CREATE TABLE test
> (
> id serial NOT NULL,
> txt text NOT NULL DEFAULT ''::text,
> CONSTRAINT test_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
> )
> WITH OIDS;
>
> I think you will find the complete ODBC configuration in the HUGE logs
> here : http://ioguix.free.fr/pgsqllog.log
>
> Please....help... (or point me in the right direction)
>
> Thanks

Attachment Content-Type Size
greg.campbell.vcf text/x-vcard 241 bytes