Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to -

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to -
Date: 2006-06-05 16:55:50
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Joachim Wieland wrote:

> Still it does not what I think it should do. I might have been unclear
> before. If you put a comment in front of a PGC_POSTMASTER variable (and if
> its value differs from the default) then this should be treated as if the
> variable got changed and it should emmit a warning "<varname> can only be
> changed on server start" or similar. This warning should be kept for every
> other SIGHUP that gets sent just like it is done already when you change the
> value (but do not comment the variable).

Thanks for explanation. I overlooked this variant. When I analyzed
set_config_option I found some other bugs or strange things:

1) Try to change internal  variable in the config file is silently
ignored during reconfiguration.
2) GUC_DISALLOW_IN_FILE flag is ignored during configuration file parsing.
3) If option is PGC_POSTMASTER type and value is not syntax valid, It
only generates warning message that value cannot be change and file
parsing continue.

Could some one validates my findings?

I think that set_config_options is too huge and very overloaded.  By my
opinion divide to small functions is necessary to fix this behavior and
its increase maintainability.

    Zdenek