Re: COPY (query) TO file

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY (query) TO file
Date: 2006-06-02 21:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de> writes:
>> Ok, but why not just implement this into pg_dump or psql?
>> Why bother the backend with that functionality?
>
> You're not seriously suggesting we reimplement evaluation of WHERE clauses
> on the client side, are you?

no, did I? But what is wrong with something like:

\COPY 'SELECT foo,bar,baz FROM footable WHERE baz=5 ORDER BY foo' TO
file|stdout

which would just run the query (in the backend of course) and
format the output just like copy would...

I mean, ok, when its in the backend, its fine too (beside the
data expansion if you dont implement compression...)
but I thougt implementing in the frontend would be easier...

Regards
Tino