Re: COPY (query) TO file

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY (query) TO file
Date: 2006-06-02 14:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
>>> Tom had posted a question about file compression with copy. I thought
>>> about it, and I want to through this out and see if anyone things it is
>>> good idea.
>>>
>>> Currently, the COPY command only copies a table, what if it could
>>> operate
>>> with a query, as:
>>>
>>> COPY (select * from mytable where foo='bar') as BAR TO stdout
>>>
>>> I have no idea if it is doable, but I can see uses for replication
>> I doubt it be really usefull (apart from maybe saving some work
>> coding a client app) but did you actually test it with
>>
>> create table as select ...; followed by a copy of that table
>> if it really is faster then just the usual select & fetch?
>
> Why "create table?"

Just to simulate and time the proposal.
SELECT ... already works over the network and if COPY from a
select (which would basically work like yet another wire
protocol) isnt significantly faster, why bother?

> The idea is that you would have one or more redundent databases and use
> the COPY TO/FROM to keep them up to date.

Well, if you have databases you would have regular tables - and
can use copy as it is now :-)

Regards
Tino