searching multiple tables

From: "Keith D(dot) Evans" <evans(at)umbc(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: searching multiple tables
Date: 2006-05-31 20:40:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello novices,

I hope some aren't novices so that the questions can be answered. :-)

I want to search many tables for certain data. The tables all have
exactly the same columns. In searching the archives, I noticed that the
exact table name seemed to be required for the select ... from ..
command, but we are talking about 20,000 tables or more. Specifiying
each table would be extremely inconvenient. And we may want to search
all the tables. Some of the columns are time, latitude and longitude.
We want to be able to search on time and/or lat and lon. Time will be
unique, but the lats and lons may repeat. Based on these search
criteria, we will pull out other data (columns) from the table(s).

I have been reading the documentation manuals for postgresql 7.4 and
browsing the archives, but have not found an answer to this question.
Can anyone help me?

thanx,
keith evans

--
"Every magnificent history begins with something small." Daisaku Ikeda
Keith D. Evans

Any opinions expressed in this email are not those of
NASA, or the Goddard Space Flight Center, or the Joint
Center for Earth Systems Technology or the University
of Maryland Baltimore County.