Re: Best high availability solution ?

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best high availability solution ?
Date: 2006-05-31 11:06:50
Lists: pgsql-general
Tino Wildenhain a écrit :
> personally I think the WAL approach is by far easier
> to set up and maintain - the pg_dump is in fact easy,
> but the restore to another database can be tricky
> if you want it unattended and bullit-proof the same
> time.

I'll have to study this more in-depth then.
If I got it right, the procedure would be :
- wal archiving enabled
- base backup once a day (pg_start_backup, copy the 'data'
directory, pg_stop_backup)
- create restore-script to be run on the second server, which would :
   - copy the backup to the 'data' directory
   - copy the wal files to the 'pg_xlog' directory
   - create the recovery.conf in the data directory (should always
stay there maybe)
   - start the postmaster

Then anyone could just run this script in case of a failure of the
master server to have an up-to-date database running.

Then with a script that would change my DNS so that
mypgserver.domain.tld (used in ODBC connection string) points to
CNAME mybackupserver.domain.tld instead of CNAME
mymasterserver.domain.tld, getting back to production ould be
quite easy...?