Creating a case insensitive data type

From: Dave <david(dot)majnemer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Creating a case insensitive data type
Date: 2006-05-26 00:23:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

could CREATE TYPE be used to make a case insensitive version of varchar?
So that doing something like LOWER(username) = 'joe' could just be done
like username = 'joe' ?

I want to try to avoid using CREATE TYPE with C extensions and using a
new operator all over the place is not an option... How could I do this?
Can I accomplish this via another method?

-Dave