Re: Selects query stats?

From: Mischa Sandberg <mischa(at)ca(dot)sophos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selects query stats?
Date: 2006-05-23 18:15:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
Dan Gorman wrote:
> All,
>
> I might be completely crazy here, but it seems every other database
> exposes select query stats. Postgres only exposes
> updates/deletes/inserts. Is there something I am missing here?

Perhaps.

You can EXPLAIN ANALYZE a SELECT, just like i/u/d -- but then you
don't get the normal result set back. Is that what you mean?

You can turn on log_min_duration_statement and get total SELECT duration
logged.

There's a thread in pgsql-hackers ("Re: Porting MSSQL to PGSQL: trace and
profile") about server-side logging of query plans and stats (for all four of
s/i/u/d), which is indeed not there in PG.

--
Engineers think that equations approximate reality.
Physicists think that reality approximates the equations.