Re: MySQL DB to PostgresSQL DB

From: Joe <dev(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL DB to PostgresSQL DB
Date: 2006-05-18 14:23:12
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql pgsql-www

Jose Apablaza wrote:
> - Is posible to export MySQL DB to PostgreSQL DB?
> - Does PostgreSQL DB has tools to import MySQL DB?
> - If is posible, How do I need to build the DB in MySQL?, in order to
> have success in the exportation.
> - Do someone did it before?, exporting MySQL DB to PostgreSQL DB?
> - What kind of risk do we can to have in this process?
> - How long can take this process?

Yes, it's doable, but it's not as straighforward as

mysqldump -someflags mydbname | psql -someotherflags pgdbname

I suggest you start by checking the resources/articles in the MySQL
section of http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.3 (which I'm glad to
say is much better organized and comprehensive than when I had to do
it). FWIW, I converted using CSV as the intermediate format, and the
dates and timestamps were the trickiest, which required the use of
"staging" tables (with a textual representation of the columns). An
interesting side effect was discovering data inconsistencies in the
MySQL database since as part of the conversion I implemented foreign key
constraints under PostgreSQL (which were missing in the former).

Joe