OIDS

From: Q Beukes <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Postgresql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OIDS
Date: 2006-05-17 12:21:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hey,

I have a few questions/thoughts about OIDS.

1. What are the pros/cons of having them against not having them in your
table.
2. Are they unique throughout tables/database/postgres setup.
3. If they are unique throughout the system, a 4 byte integer can be used up
    pretty quickly in large/busy systems. How does postgres handle the
overflow?
4. I noticed that it must be the same "counter" that is used in all
INSERTS no matter what
    database you are in. And to accommodate for large databases having
unique oids,
    I figured postgres probably only makes them unique in tables. But if
it overflows
    how does postgres determine which OID this db/table hasn't used yet?

regards
Q Beukes

  • Re: OIDS at 2006-05-19 15:45:18 from Bruno Wolff III

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: David GaudineDate: 2006-05-17 15:43:59